1995 Retrospective Results
Add Reply
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-10-11 23:59:18 UTC
Well, that took longer than expected. I know I said that I'd finish off the '95 retrospective on Monday, but a new job (with limited access to the outside world) makes Larry a dull boy. But better late than never, so here is how the voting went. 50 Spielfrieks hung in there till the end and cast their votes. The number in parentheses is the original rank, with "n/a" signifying that the game wasn't nominated back in '95.

1. The Settlers of Catan - 34 (1)
2. El Grande - 32 (2)
3. Medici - 25 (3)
4. Mu & Mehr - 12 (4)
5. High Society - 11 (6)
6. The Bottle Imp - 5 (n/a)
6. The Great Dalmuti - 5 (n/a)
8, Das Motorsportspiel - 4 (n/a)
9. 1825 Unit 1 - 2 (n/a)
9. 2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt - 2 (n/a)
9. Amazing Labyrinth - 2 (5)
9. Billabong - 2 (n/a)
9. Condotierre - 2 (7)
9. Streetcar - 2 (n/a)
15. Elfenwizards - 1 (12)
15. Middle-earth - 1 (n/a)
15. Once Upon a Time - 1 (8)
15. Tricks - 1 (12)

I don't suppose any of you are surprised that we picked the same top 3 games as we did 22 years ago. Still, I would have thought that El Grande would have beaten out Settlers this time around, so there's still some surprises this time around. I also didn't think that Medici would have finished as close to the other two as it did, so good to see that these two classics are still loved.

When I get some time, I'll post some summaries of all the votes, but for now, thank you all for supporting this exercise so well. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing it next year, after we conduct the regular election.

Larry
Clay Blankenship clay.blankenship@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-10-12 04:41:02 UTC
I'm the opposite--I was surprised El Grande was so close to Settlers.
Settlers got me started in the hobby. I've played it dozens of times and
still use it as a good gateway game. I don't know when the last time I saw
someone playing El Grande was.

Clay
--
Clay Blankenship ***@gmail.com
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." --Helen Keller
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-10-16 02:47:35 UTC
My surprise was because El Grande is ranked much higher on the Geek, Clay. My group still views El Grande as a very good 5-player game, while Settlers almost never makes an appearance. I don't seek out either game, myself (and actively avoid El Grande).

Larry