[spielfrieks] 2017 Meeples Choice Awards - Let's Get Started!
jcw222@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2018-06-11 06:07:05 UTC
Sorry, if I am late with suggested additions, but I'm very disappointed not to see three of my favorite games from the last year included, namely:

Dogs
History Maker Golf
and
Santa's Workshop

Dogs was first released in 2013 in Portugese mainly to the Brazilian market, then via KS it reached the US market last year. One of the "gems" in my collection in the past year, probably overlooked by most of your MC followers but there was a great video by Rahdo on BGG that sold me on the game.

HMG is not in the Euro genre, but it's been the most played game in my collection, best golf game out there, and with plenty of strategy options that really come to the fore with Match Play as opposed to stroke play, not to mention a really innovative way of running a 100+ golfer tournament in around two hours' time.

The big shocker to me is the exclusion of Santa's Workshop. Released a week before Christmas 2017, a Rio Grande release by a previously unpublished designer with RGG (not some snooty European outfit) as the lead publisher. Hmmm
 sounds like one of the big award winners from a few years back -- remember this card game called Dominion? But, for some reason, this game has escaped your attention. Shame on you, Larry Levy, for missing this one, and I believe the game designer actually resides not far from you in No Va.

Anyway, specific gripes about these particular games aside, one basic complaint I have is what a pain in the --- it is to go through the voting process. It used to be via a file posted here, click on the 10 games, etc., now it's some password protected log-in deal which frankly hasn't worked for a non-techie savvy person such as myself. So, despite my pleasant surprise at last year's outcome, correctly picking one of my all-time favorites, Great Western Trail, I'm not sure I'm going to be participating from here on out.

Would also add that 4-5 days warning was not sufficient time for everyone to comment on proposed additions, as in my case, I was out-of-pocket all weekend (from Friday AM through Sunday night) actually playing some of these games, including HMG and Dogs, both of which were well received.

John Weber
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2018-06-12 03:27:04 UTC
Sorry you weren't able to make those suggestions in time, John. I actually posted the original request last Monday; the voting started late on Friday, so your gaming weekend probably wasn't the cause for you missing things. We usually have very few suggestions about missed games, so I only dedicate a few days to that process, so that we can get on with the voting.

As for Santa's Workshop, I see that it has good ratings, but fewer than 50 people have rated it. That's an easy one to miss, as a lot of games fit that description.

I'm also sorry that the voting app isn't working well for you, but maybe you'll think of giving it another chance? Almost everyone who has commented on it seems to think it's much easier than the old Yahoo polls, so maybe you'll find it more straightforward than you thought at first glance.

Anyway, sorry again about not being able to add your suggestions to the list. Of course, I'm always happy to take write-in votes. If you'd rather send your list of games (for either election) directly to me, rather than use the app, just shoot an email to huzonfirst AT gmail DOT com and I'll tally them up with the rest of the votes.

Larry