[spielfrieks] 1996 Results
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 01:55:21 UTC
86 on '96! The vote is over; thanks to the 46 people who participated. For the first time, there was a significant number of folks who voted for fewer than 3 games. Not surprisingly, many of us are finding fewer games worthy of our vote. Anyway, here’s the top 10, with the vote totals listed, along with the game’s original rank in parentheses, and n/a indicating that the game wasn’t originally nominated:

1. Expedition - 16 (2)
2. Entdecker – 11 (1)
3. Carabande – 10 (3)
4. Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix – 8 (5)
4. Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage – 8 (n/a)
6. Iron Dragon – 7 (13)
7. Bamboleo – 6 (19)
7. Quandary – 6 (6)
7. Serenissima – 6 (4)
10. Netrunner – 5 (n/a)

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty surprised to see the same three games on top. Not that they're bad games, but none of them are evergreens, so I thought we'd see at least a little movement at the top. There really wasn't that much change from the original election. Hannibal makes a nice showing and Bamboleo (which only got 1 vote originally) gets a lot more love this time. The big loser is Serenissima, which missed grabbing an MCA by only one vote in the original election, but did considerably worse this time around.

Only three games were shut out: Campanile, Grand National Derby, and Yucata. You can check out how each game did, together with who voted for them, on the app.

So were you surprised to see a repeat of the top 3, or was that fairly predictable? Tell us what you think!

Larry
Jacob Lee jacobjslee@gmail.com [spielfrieks]

Larry
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 02:26:18 UTC
Classic Kramer game. It started life as Wildlife Adventure in '85. Expedition is a slight redesign. There have been a few themed reprints. It's not really my kind of game, but it's a solid design, as you'd expect, and I suspect it's held up well through the years.

Larry
Doug Orleans dougorleans@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 03:54:44 UTC
Wildlife Adventure is a somewhat better version, as I recall, but harder to
find. I guess they're both pretty rare nowadays. It's a fairly light game
but I always enjoy it.
Larry
Mark Jackson fluffdaddy@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 04:34:11 UTC
Not Evergreens for YOU, Larry. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone
Larry
Anye Freer anye.freer@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 14:14:14 UTC
Expedition wasn't really on my radar but I won it on a prize exchange this
past year and played it, it's a fun game. Lighter than my usual picks but
still solid. It shares some similarity with Santa Fe / Santa Fe Rails
which I enjoy a lot as well, I like the mechanic where you can piggy back
off of where others are sending the route for your own (nefarious?)
purposes.

Thanks,
Anye M. Freer
Larry
jeffcwu@yahoo.com [spielfrieks]
2017-11-15 12:45:36 UTC
I disagree. I heard the same sentiment and bought Wildlife Adventure long time ago. That was a mistake. It is missing the key "looping" rule which makes it a game interesting beyond a kids game. I've heard the board was tweaked many times so I would venture to guess that there was some tuning for the looping rule that is not present in Wildlife Adventure.

I sold my copy of Wildlife Adventure a long time ago and a long time after acquired the National Geographic English version after years of search.

'ted cheatham' tedcheatham@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 09:47:10 UTC
This is getting worse. I actually still own 5 of these. The first 4 and Quandary. Actually, I own the new entdecker, the german version. That may the most I still own off any list.

Larry
Ravindra Prasad rprasadusa@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-26 11:07:05 UTC
This was an easy tip 3 choice for me — although I haven’t played any of these games in years (including Carabande, which is kind of surprising!) I’d be happy to any time if someone else picked them. I might even pick Entdecker and Carabande myself!

Sent from my iPhone
Larry
Tedcheatham tedcheatham@gmail.com [spielfrieks]

Larry
Martin Griffiths martin.griffiths@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2017-09-27 08:31:21 UTC
It makes me sad how forgotten Marracash seems to be. It's a fantastic game
of auctions and temporary alliances that in some ways anticipates the
Winsome train game genre. I recommend seeking it out!

Martin
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-09-28 15:19:36 UTC
Yeah, Marracash got one of my three votes. It's quite good and a highly interactive design. My only problem with it is I play it so seldom that I forget my lessons learned and wind up making the same mistakes each game!