[spielfrieks] 1995 Retrospective Nominations
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2017-09-28 15:44:26 UTC
Well, these retrospectives have been a lot of fun, but 1995 is the last one we will do this year. Starting next year, following the normal election for the 2017 gaming year, we’ll do what I hope becomes an annual look back at the awards from 5, 10, 15, and 20 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but I’ve just started a new job and things have been a bit hectic. Still, I’ll always find time for my gaming duties. Priorities!

In the original election, there were apparently only 17 games nominated. Here they are, in alphabetical order:

Am Fuss des Kilimanjaro
Amazing Labyrinth
Auf Achse Kartenspiel
Condotierre
El Grande
Elfenwizards
Galopp Royal
Hattrick
High Society
Medici
MÌ & Mehr
New York
Once Upon a Time
Rainbows
Sternenhimmel
The Settlers of Catan
Tricks

I’ve found a whole bunch of notable games from that year that weren’t nominated. Here are 15 of the most highly rated ones. Any game that gets a second will be part of the election.

1856
1825 Unit 1
2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt
Billabong
Das Motorsportspiel
Formula Motor Racing
Legend of the Five Rings
Middle-earth
Mystery of the Abbey
Necromunda
Star Wars CCG
Streetcar
The Bottle Imp
The Great Dalmuti
Warhammer Quest

The version of Streetcar that came out in ’95 was called Linie 1. Mayfair modified the rules and released their version, called Streetcar, in ’96. So technically, the eligible game is Linie 1, but it’s more widely known as Streetcar, so that’s what I called it. Similarly, when The Bottle Imp was released in 1995, it was called Flaschenteufel, but it’s better known today by its English title, which it didn’t acquire until quite a few years later.

I’d like to second both Billabong and The Bottle Imp, so those will be included with the nominated games.

Please feel free to nominate any other ’95 titles you’re likely to vote for. If any of those can get a second, we’ll include them as well.

We’ve gotten a late start with the process this week, so let’s wait until Monday for people to make suggestions. I’ll then set up the election and we can carry out the last retrospective of the year. 1995 was an historical year in gaming, so let’s see if we can do it justice!

Larry
Paul Sauberer paul.sauberer@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
Larry
'Charlie Wilson' charlie@britgames.co.uk [spielfrieks]
2017-09-28 16:23:59 UTC
I'll second 1825 Unit 1.
I'll let someone else 'do the honours' for 1856.

Charlie Wilson [a bearded one] ;-{)}

Larry
Doug Orleans dougorleans@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
Larry