[spielfrieks] 1998 Retrospective
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2018-08-03 20:31:32 UTC
So we’ll finish off this year’s retrospective with 1998. 25 games were nominated for the original election that year. Here they are, in alphabetical order:

Basari
Carat
Cheops
Circus Flohcati
David and Goliath
El Caballero
Elfenland
Europa 1945-2030
Finale
Fossil
Freibeuter
Gipf
Hornochsen
Katzenjammer Blues
Medieval Merchant
Mystery Rummy 1: Jack the Ripper
Samarkand
Samurai
SchnÀppchen-Jagd/Bargain Hunter
Through the Desert
Tichu
Tonga Bonga
Tycoon
Verrater
Wettstreit der Baumeister

Note that Tichu was originally nominated for 1998, even though it’s a 1991 title, but the game really didn’t take off (particularly in the English-speaking world) until it was re-released by RGG and Amigo in ’98. Tichu lovers should definitely vote for it here if it’s one of their three favorites of the year. Also note that I added Bargain Hunter to the SchnÀppchen-Jagd entry, since the original is so hard to find and the remake is essentially the exact same game, in case folks are only familiar with the new title.

There were five games from 1998 that didn’t get nominated that are currently in the top 1500 on the Geek. Here they are; if anyone seconds them, they’ll get added to the list:

For the People
Kahuna
Guillotine
Mamma Mia!
TurfMaster

And as always, feel free to nominate any other 1998 game that you think you’ll put in your top 3. If someone else seconds it, the game will be added to the list.

Let’s see what suggestions and seconds people have, then I’ll put together the list and vote on it. Thanks!

Larry
Jamieson Cobleigh cobleigh@gmail.com [spielfrieks]

Larry
Tedcheatham tedcheatham@gmail.com [spielfrieks]

Larry
jeffcwu@yahoo.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-04 11:57:05 UTC
I’ll second Mamma Mia!
Clay Blankenship clay.blankenship@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-04 02:40:28 UTC
Kind of a snoozer of a year for me.
--
Clay Blankenship ***@gmail.com
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." --Helen Keller
G Russell qzhdad@yahoo.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-04 11:47:05 UTC
I’ll second Mama Mia.

Sent from my iPad
'Sharon Khan' sharon.khan@zen.co.uk [spielfrieks]
2018-08-04 21:28:29 UTC
I’ll second Turfmaster.

Larry
hwchapman@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-04 22:41:23 UTC
1998 is back in the era when my group was still playing a lot of miniatures games.

So, though there are several games on the list I bought back in 1998, the 1998 game I actually played the most that year was Crimson Skies.I remember it fondly, still have all the rules and many miniatures, and I’m surprised to see that it has an average rating of 7.05.

Bill
martin.griffiths@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-05 07:54:33 UTC
Nominate Cosmic Eidex.
Jonathan Franklin jonathanafranklin@gmail.com [spielfrieks]
2018-08-05 19:54:34 UTC
I second Cosmic Eidex
Nominate Cosmic Eidex.
huzonfirst@comcast.net [spielfrieks]
2018-08-10 14:28:25 UTC
Okay, let’s finish things off for the year with the 1998 retrospective voting. There are 29 games in the poll, all set up at http://meepleschoice.win/ http://meepleschoice.win/. As usual, vote for three or fewer games. I’ll shut things down on Friday, August 17, and give the results. The games are given below. Thanks to everyone for participating!

Basari
Carat/The Gardens of the Alhambra
Cheops
Circus Flohcati